Update #7

It’s been a while since I posted.

I’ve made significant developments in the months since January and my last update.

Node 8.5.0

I’m really happy with the new Node 8.5 update, and the introduction of async/await. Coding in JS feels extremely natural, and abandoning callbacks and Promises has been a wholly positive experience.

As a result, developing new features is done much more quickly than in the past. No longer is it necessary to dwell on how Promise-loops will be written, or how to unfurl a nasty async-tree (or promisify using Bluebird/ES6 Util).

Multi-Tier Architecture

Since I adopted a well-defined multi-tier architecture, I’m happy to report a steady progress toward game playability.

The layers are defined as such:

Game Client -> Websocket API -> Controller -> Service -> Data Layer

Authentication

Signup, login and all that jazz are really working nicely.

Continuous Integration

At any point, you’re able to hit https://galactikore.com, and begin tinkering with the latest functionality. From my end, this is as simple as pushing to the Git repository. Thanks, CircleCI!

Test Coverage

When I started Galactikore, one of the more significant goals I pursued was high test coverage. I wrote a lot of tests initially, and having downtime really allows me to focus on improving code coverage, making sure things like Controllers are as close to 100% covered as possible, and really ensuring that nyc reports things I can be proud of.

Joining the Crew

My current focus is allowing a Captain to hand-craft a crew of personnel, in preparation for departure from a starbase. I’d say I’m about 1/3 of the way done this task. It’s slow going, but I’m making decent progress.

 

Leave a Reply